In OmniGraffle, lines connect to the centerpoint of an object — unless you add magnets.
Adding magnets is pretty easy. Here’s what to do:
- In the View menu, make sure magnets are visible: make sure View > Extras > Magnets is checked.
- Select a shape, then click on the Properties Inspector.
- In Connections, pull down the menu for adding magnets. It probably says “No magnets” right now.
- Choose the last item: “5 magnets per side.”
Your shape now looks something like this, with five magnets on each side.
That’s a lot of magnets!
That’s probably even *enough* magnets. But what if it’s not?
How to get more magnets
Let’s say you want ten magnets per side. You already have five. Do this:
- Hold down the shift key.
- Pull down that same menu again and choose “5 magnets per side.”
Now you have ten.
That’s the tip: if you hold down the shift key, it adds magnets instead of changing the magnets property.
And you could keep going — it works more than once. Add as many magnets as you need!
Read Adding Magnets to Objects in the OmniGraffle manual for more about why and how to use magnets.